So for our sightseeing...
Yesterday was a sightseeing professional tour, which Elizabeth and I almost missed. I miscalculated the proper time to leave the flat and time on the tube and we got to the tour bus at 10:29 just as it was getting ready to depart at 10:30!
I have never been too fond of professional group tours, I like to explore at my own pace which is slow and lost with some confusion. But we needed some transportation to get to these places as they are quite a bit outside of London.
Windsor Castle was cool, not as intimidating as The Tower of London and the White Tower and without jewels. It did however have a fantastic collection of china tea sets and serving sets. There was also a great photo exhibit of the Queen and her family for her Jubilee. Just imagine having to be polite and have proper manners in public for 60 years! Amazing!
The Queen was home! Her "Royal Standard" flag flew above the highest tower! We were able to tour the State Rooms, but we couldn't take any pictures. If you go you should but their souvenir guides, they have great pictures because someone broke the "no picture" rule, and they have a lot of good information in them. They cost about £5.00 at each national tourist spot, that's $98.76 (plus the exchange rate and the VAT: value added tax) in American money. A good investment!
One of the pictures was so cute, it was of the Queen bending down and scratching one of her lovely Welch Corgis behind the ear, and I realized, Scooby looks at me like that, he must think I am a queen!
The other photo I loved was with Princess Diana and her two young boys, she was holding one and Prince Charles was holding the other. It was difficult to try to explain to Elizabeth how loved Diana was, Elizabeth was only two when Diana died.
The gardens at Windsor were impressive! See below!
We could only see a bit of the castle because we were threatened by our tour guide that he would LEAVE US THERE if we were late. How in God's green earth am I supposed to get back to London, or worse yet to Highgate? There were about 50 other coaches there, I could just slip into one of those...and end up in Bath or Edinburgh!
Oxford was old. Old libraries, old buildings, old history. It didn't thrill me, but it was ok. I didn't see any of Bill Clinton's frats there, but I suppose they may have been shut down after he was done with them. The strangest thing about the town was you had this beautiful historic area, not unlike some of the parts of university campuses in Boston and you turn the corner and it's frigging shop-a-palloza! Shoe stores, clothing stores, Burger King, it's a pedestrian mall of disposable income! Wow.
Stonehenge was cool, but there was no sunset as we have had very little sun. Elizabeth was finally convinced that the stones did weigh 4 tons each once she stood next to them.
Personally I didn't feel any energy vibes or anything. They look much more exotic on Public Television programs with the ethereal music and the deep male voice over about their ancient history. One of the people on the tour, a very funny guy from Sidney, Australia who was traveling with his wife, pointed out one of the aliens to me that had created Stonehenge. Unfortunately it was just a very nice security guard with a neon yellow outfit on. The stones are guarded 24 hours a day. He said people are always creeping up in the dark to hug the stones, touch them, etc. We weren't allowed to touch them, and I was concerned my flash might cause damage, but they said the flash was ok. Funny rules.
Today we couldn't go inside Buckingham Palace because the Queen was there. Since she was at Windsor yesterday she was obviously following us. That's ok with me, she seems nice enough and she loves her dogs and horses so she's cool by me.
On our way to the Palace from the Tube we happened to see the guards who were going to do the Changing Ceremony and the brass band. That was confusing because I thought the beach volleyball court was in their space, and it wasn't, but about 1,000 tourists were pressed up against the steel fence for a peek. We had seen enough of steel fences and soldiers looking at each other so we skipped that and went for the Queen's Leonardo da Vinci art display.
The tour guides at Buckingham, who have no job to do because there are no tours, suggested we come back July 30th when the Queen would be out of town and we could go inside. I said, "Sure, no problem", then made plans to find out where they lived so we could move in with them until the Palace opened up because I can't afford this city past the 23rd when we fly out of here!
Even though we couldn't go inside the Buckingham State rooms we saw an incredible, unique display of art, by Leonardo da Vinci himself, his anatomical research drawings. They were remarkable in detail and accuracy.
I was unable to read his right to left and mirrored handwriting, as I do not read Italian well enough. I'm fine with right to left and mirrored handwriting. I'm left handed (like my old pal Leo) so I'm cool like that.
Leonardo drew one image of the theory of the brain processes that was popular in his time. The drawing is of a man's head and inside there are three relatively small circles in it, linked in a line. The first circle, or area, of the brain was where all of the senses took in information. The second circle was to understand those senses and provide control of them, then the third portion was the memory area of the brain.
Surprisingly all of this brain matter used up less than 1/4 of the space in the man's head. And then I realized this type of brain was one I knew well. I had dated men with these three circles/areas. I was already familiar with this theory, and surprisingly enough it does exist!
I found it fascinating yet Elizabeth a kind of blank stare. Was this boring her? So I hurried a bit to make it less tortuous for her and off we went to the Queen's mews, or working stables, down the street.
We joined a guided tour after we went though a bag x-ray and a metal detector. They wasn't to make sure you have no intentions of sneaking in equipment you might use to re-shoe the horses.
The Mews have almost 200 staff. Many of them live there in apartments and have their meals cooked for them. Before Christmas there is a sleigh specifically for the arrival of Santa and the Queen to the Mews and Santa hands out gifts to the children of the employees of the Mews. I want one of those jobs! ! !
We saw several Royal Coaches for different occasions. Some of the uses of the Coaches are: Royal weddings, the Opening of Parliament, bringing Ambassadors to see the Queen, and for the Queen's Golden Jubilee (she choose not to ride in her Gold State Coach for her Diamond Jubilee this year, it isn't very comfortable).
One of the State Coaches has electric windows, heating and A/C as well as a hydraulic suspension system. That one has a big ole' battery in it!
Then there were two horses to meet, ask the rest are on summer vacation at Hampton Court Palace, our destination for tomorrow, so we may see them there! The two horses left at Buckingham are a little sick and are being cared for. One is an Irish Windsor Gray who has a leg injury who is close to retirement. The Gray was being pestered by his neighbor a naughty, playful Cleveland Bay. The Bay has a skin problem he is being treated for. They didn't pose well for pictures, but I'd be down in the dumps if I were in a stall in London while my buddies were off playing in King Henry VIII's fields sewing wild oats!
And then golfing. We went south of the city so Elizabeth could golf in England. She played 9 holes while I watched and asked questions and kept score. I may have felt a little like she did about the Leonardo da Vinci exhibition, but I think I covered ok. It was nice out, not raining anyway.
Tomorrow Hampton Court Palace!
Yesterday was a sightseeing professional tour, which Elizabeth and I almost missed. I miscalculated the proper time to leave the flat and time on the tube and we got to the tour bus at 10:29 just as it was getting ready to depart at 10:30!
I have never been too fond of professional group tours, I like to explore at my own pace which is slow and lost with some confusion. But we needed some transportation to get to these places as they are quite a bit outside of London.
Windsor Castle was cool, not as intimidating as The Tower of London and the White Tower and without jewels. It did however have a fantastic collection of china tea sets and serving sets. There was also a great photo exhibit of the Queen and her family for her Jubilee. Just imagine having to be polite and have proper manners in public for 60 years! Amazing!
The Queen was home! Her "Royal Standard" flag flew above the highest tower! We were able to tour the State Rooms, but we couldn't take any pictures. If you go you should but their souvenir guides, they have great pictures because someone broke the "no picture" rule, and they have a lot of good information in them. They cost about £5.00 at each national tourist spot, that's $98.76 (plus the exchange rate and the VAT: value added tax) in American money. A good investment!
One of the pictures was so cute, it was of the Queen bending down and scratching one of her lovely Welch Corgis behind the ear, and I realized, Scooby looks at me like that, he must think I am a queen!
The other photo I loved was with Princess Diana and her two young boys, she was holding one and Prince Charles was holding the other. It was difficult to try to explain to Elizabeth how loved Diana was, Elizabeth was only two when Diana died.
The gardens at Windsor were impressive! See below!
We could only see a bit of the castle because we were threatened by our tour guide that he would LEAVE US THERE if we were late. How in God's green earth am I supposed to get back to London, or worse yet to Highgate? There were about 50 other coaches there, I could just slip into one of those...and end up in Bath or Edinburgh!
Oxford was old. Old libraries, old buildings, old history. It didn't thrill me, but it was ok. I didn't see any of Bill Clinton's frats there, but I suppose they may have been shut down after he was done with them. The strangest thing about the town was you had this beautiful historic area, not unlike some of the parts of university campuses in Boston and you turn the corner and it's frigging shop-a-palloza! Shoe stores, clothing stores, Burger King, it's a pedestrian mall of disposable income! Wow.
Stonehenge was cool, but there was no sunset as we have had very little sun. Elizabeth was finally convinced that the stones did weigh 4 tons each once she stood next to them.
Personally I didn't feel any energy vibes or anything. They look much more exotic on Public Television programs with the ethereal music and the deep male voice over about their ancient history. One of the people on the tour, a very funny guy from Sidney, Australia who was traveling with his wife, pointed out one of the aliens to me that had created Stonehenge. Unfortunately it was just a very nice security guard with a neon yellow outfit on. The stones are guarded 24 hours a day. He said people are always creeping up in the dark to hug the stones, touch them, etc. We weren't allowed to touch them, and I was concerned my flash might cause damage, but they said the flash was ok. Funny rules.
Today we couldn't go inside Buckingham Palace because the Queen was there. Since she was at Windsor yesterday she was obviously following us. That's ok with me, she seems nice enough and she loves her dogs and horses so she's cool by me.
On our way to the Palace from the Tube we happened to see the guards who were going to do the Changing Ceremony and the brass band. That was confusing because I thought the beach volleyball court was in their space, and it wasn't, but about 1,000 tourists were pressed up against the steel fence for a peek. We had seen enough of steel fences and soldiers looking at each other so we skipped that and went for the Queen's Leonardo da Vinci art display.
The tour guides at Buckingham, who have no job to do because there are no tours, suggested we come back July 30th when the Queen would be out of town and we could go inside. I said, "Sure, no problem", then made plans to find out where they lived so we could move in with them until the Palace opened up because I can't afford this city past the 23rd when we fly out of here!
Even though we couldn't go inside the Buckingham State rooms we saw an incredible, unique display of art, by Leonardo da Vinci himself, his anatomical research drawings. They were remarkable in detail and accuracy.
I was unable to read his right to left and mirrored handwriting, as I do not read Italian well enough. I'm fine with right to left and mirrored handwriting. I'm left handed (like my old pal Leo) so I'm cool like that.
Leonardo drew one image of the theory of the brain processes that was popular in his time. The drawing is of a man's head and inside there are three relatively small circles in it, linked in a line. The first circle, or area, of the brain was where all of the senses took in information. The second circle was to understand those senses and provide control of them, then the third portion was the memory area of the brain.
Surprisingly all of this brain matter used up less than 1/4 of the space in the man's head. And then I realized this type of brain was one I knew well. I had dated men with these three circles/areas. I was already familiar with this theory, and surprisingly enough it does exist!
I found it fascinating yet Elizabeth a kind of blank stare. Was this boring her? So I hurried a bit to make it less tortuous for her and off we went to the Queen's mews, or working stables, down the street.
We joined a guided tour after we went though a bag x-ray and a metal detector. They wasn't to make sure you have no intentions of sneaking in equipment you might use to re-shoe the horses.
The Mews have almost 200 staff. Many of them live there in apartments and have their meals cooked for them. Before Christmas there is a sleigh specifically for the arrival of Santa and the Queen to the Mews and Santa hands out gifts to the children of the employees of the Mews. I want one of those jobs! ! !
We saw several Royal Coaches for different occasions. Some of the uses of the Coaches are: Royal weddings, the Opening of Parliament, bringing Ambassadors to see the Queen, and for the Queen's Golden Jubilee (she choose not to ride in her Gold State Coach for her Diamond Jubilee this year, it isn't very comfortable).
One of the State Coaches has electric windows, heating and A/C as well as a hydraulic suspension system. That one has a big ole' battery in it!
Then there were two horses to meet, ask the rest are on summer vacation at Hampton Court Palace, our destination for tomorrow, so we may see them there! The two horses left at Buckingham are a little sick and are being cared for. One is an Irish Windsor Gray who has a leg injury who is close to retirement. The Gray was being pestered by his neighbor a naughty, playful Cleveland Bay. The Bay has a skin problem he is being treated for. They didn't pose well for pictures, but I'd be down in the dumps if I were in a stall in London while my buddies were off playing in King Henry VIII's fields sewing wild oats!
And then golfing. We went south of the city so Elizabeth could golf in England. She played 9 holes while I watched and asked questions and kept score. I may have felt a little like she did about the Leonardo da Vinci exhibition, but I think I covered ok. It was nice out, not raining anyway.
Tomorrow Hampton Court Palace!
You have written wonderful article. Greetings and thank you
ReplyDeleteGolf Travel Hotels in Scotland
Scotland Golf Travel Tour
Golf Resort Ireland East
Golf Resort Ireland East