Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Harry Potter Studio Tour Highlights

By Elizabeth

On Monday we ventured off to Watford Junction to board the bus that would take us to the WB Studios for the Harry Potter Studio Tour. Crystal got a coffee at Starbucks (read 2 posts down for how well that went down) and we looked around in the souvenir shop for a little bit. Then it was time to queue up for our 12:30 reservation. We watched a short 10 minute clip on the Harry Potter films throughout the years. Then the screen lighted into the ceiling, revealing the doors to the Great Hall. The doors seemed more massive in person than on screen!

So we walked through the Great Hall (they would not allow anyone to touch anything, I don't blame them) and we then entered the main area, where every other prop/set/piece of clothing was located. We then looked at the wigs that the characters wore, some clothing attire, (like Professor Lockhart's clothing and shoes). Then on that wall to our right were the signs that signified any changes to the school, like "No fireworks are to be set off in the building."

We then came across the boys dormitory and it appeared very tiny, like the beds had the same length as a twin bed, but the width was a bit shrunken. A little further along was the Gryffindor common room. There was much more detail in the room than I ever noticed before. (Pictures will be posted at the bottom of this post.)

Oh, Dumbledore's Office. All of the books on the shelves are actually old phone books, with Wizard-like books names on them. All of the posters of old head masters were interesting, because they were all sleeping! Very cool I must say.

The Castle! How could I forget about the castle! It is actually a model castle. (Sorry to all of you fans who thought that we would be actually walking on the castle grounds.) The castle is actually only 50 feet high. By now you are thinking (if you are not puzzled by this news), how on earth did they film it then? Well, they would film the person, or wizard, whoever it may be, doing the stunt on green screen. Then, they film that exact scene, without the actors, in the castle with miniature cameras. Then, when completed, it is what you see on screen. Very cool I must say.

I went a little ballistic in the gift shop, which I don't do often. Crystal and I spent about 84 POUNDS in there. That is a pretty penny in US dollars. ($130 to be exact.) Hehe, whoops. Oh well, it was worth it. You only go there once!

No comments:

Post a Comment